MAKE YOUR AMERICAN DREAM COME TRUE
Home ownership is an important part of the American Dream, but for people without Social Security numbers, getting the financial support needed to purchase a home can make that dream feel too difficult to achieve. At Affordable Home Finance, we’re proud to support Californians from all walks of life by helping clients qualify for ITIN mortgage loans.
WHAT IS AN ITIN?
ITIN stands for Individual Tax Identification Number. These numbers are issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to people who do not have or are not eligible for a Social Security Number. Anyone who files taxes in the United States can receive an ITIN by applying with the IRS. Your ITIN serves to legally identify you in two circumstances where you would otherwise need a Social Security Number: filing your federal taxes, and applying for an ITIN mortgage loan.
HOW DO YOU GET AN ITIN MORTGAGE LOAN?
The first step to getting an ITIN mortgage loan is getting an ITIN. If you don’t already have one, you can apply for one with the IRS by filling out Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, alongside your federal tax return and some additional documentation. You can expect a response to your ITIN application within seven weeks of completing it, and the more documentation you can provide, the quicker and easier the process will be. You can learn more about the application process on the IRS website here.
Once you have an ITIN, AHF will compare dozens of California mortgage lenders to find the one that best fits your needs. The lender we pair you with will ask us to provide them with documentation from you that verifies your identity and that proves your ability to make your monthly payments. The exact requirements vary between lending institutions, but may include:
- Identification: This will include documents such as your driver’s license, passport, or a valid United States visa. You’ll also need to provide your ITIN.
- Credit profile: The lender may examine your credit history to determine what loan you qualify for. Factors like a good credit score and a low ratio of debt to income can increase your odds of qualifying.
- Proof of income: You may be asked to provide financial information, such as bank statements, savings, or relevant assets, and you’ll always need to provide your last two years’ tax returns.
- Proof of employment: Lenders typically require proof of at least two years’ steady employment or self-employment. As with proof of income, this helps to prove you’ll make your monthly payments.
- Proof of residency: The lender may need proof that you’ve been living in California for the past two years. This can include the deed or title to your home, the rental or lease agreement with your landlord, or your home utility bills.
- Down payment: You’ll often be required to pay a percentage of the loan payment up front. This will likely be a minimum of 15% of the total payment, and possibly more.
You’ll receive professional support from the Affordable Home Finance team at every step of the way. We’ll walk you through the application process so you can get approved quickly and easily. Then we’ll use the information you give us to structure your loan and choose the ideal ITIN mortgage product for you.
ITIN LOAN BENEFITS
ITIN loans have a number of advantages for prospective homeowners, especially in circumstances where more traditional options aren’t a good fit.
- No SSN Needed: Most lenders require a Social Security Number to do business, but ITIN loans don’t have that requirement.
- Build Your Credit History: Making timely payments on a home loan establishes a positive credit history, which can improve your credit score.
- Affordable Payments: Unlike hard money loans, which are a frequent alternative to ITIN mortgage loans, you can repay your loan over an extended timeframe, just like you would with a traditional mortgage.
At Affordable Home Finance, we believe everyone deserves access to affordable housing. Reach out to us today to learn more about how we can help you get a home in California and make your American Dream a reality.